Sunday, March 20, 2011

TV Stand Makeover

IMG_1753

Have you ever had one of those projects that you were just so relieved to have done?  This was like that for me.  I have envisioned doing this for, oh, at least a year now.

IMG_1573
I’m not even sure how I ended up with this.  Somehow, though, over the past 10 years, I managed to acquire this cheap, particle board cart/stand.  It eventually ended up in our den holding the tv that the kids use to play the Wii and Xbox.  I finally got started on it about a week ago.  I had my sweetie help me take the big, heavy tv off the top and dragged the little stand outside. 

Why on earth I did this, I don’t know but I had some old white paint that had been sitting outside forever.  I thought I would be cheap frugal  and mix some cream acrylic paint with this old paint and end up with a nice antique white color.  Well, I covered the stand with about three coats of this stuff and then, guess what happened!  The paint started peeling off.  What, you’re not surprised? 

I peeled as much off as would easily come off.  Then, I just left it outside for a few days.  Yep, I left this piece of furniture that’s not even real wood outside, exposed to the elements for days.  It even rained (I did put some plastic over it).  I wish I would’ve thought to take a picture of it in this state but just use your imagination.  It was bad.  

 Then, I picked up a quart of paint from Wallyworld and decided to finish what I started.  After all, the kids weren’t too happy about having to go without their video games. 

Now, if this piece of furniture were just a little bit nicer or if I would’ve cared just a little more about it, I would’ve scraped the rest of the paint off or used some paint thinner or stripper or something. Kind of like removing the old polish before painting your fingernails.  If you don’t, you end up with an uneven layer of polish. But, I didn’t care that much about this old hand-me down tv stand- I just wanted to be done with it, so I just painted right over the peeled paint. 

IMG_1747

I also noticed after it had sat outside for all this time, it looked crackled on one side.  Most people would definitely scrape that off but I just reasoned with myself that it gave it character and kept on going.  After a couple of coats of good paint, the peeled paint was sufficiently (for me) covered.
IMG_1743
At this point, I decoupaged some pretty damask printed scrapbook paper onto the doors.
 IMG_1740

IMG_1745

Once it had dried, I lightly sanded around the edges all over.  Then, I added some black glaze everywhere I had sanded.  I sprayed it down with Krylon sealer and finally, finally…I was done. 

IMG_1755


IMG_1758( We eventually need to upgrade this monster tv to something a little lighter but it is not our main one)


IMG_1743

IMG_1750

It, of course, is not perfect but then again, I never expected it to be.  It was a cheap, old cabinet that I inherited from somewhere.  I’m honestly surprised I still have it.  With all of the abuse I put it through, I think I finally made up for it.  It looks better than it did before and that is all that I wanted.  So I am happy.  And relieved.  Now the kids can get back to their games and I can put that project behind me.  Hmmmm…I do still have a few sheets of that same scrapbook paper though…. I could cover something with it to hold their controllers maybe…but not today!  Today, I am going to enjoy this beautiful first day of Spring!

IMG_1762
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. You did a nice job on your television carT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have that very same tv stand! I'm not kidding. The people who we're renting from left it and said we could have it. I was thrilled! {insert sarcasm}
    I've been wanting to redo our computer desk which is the same kind of material. Maybe I'll do it soon!
    btw, I'm linking up to your Kraft party for the first time ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great. Love the black and white. Great job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! It turned out great..and I've had painting disasters too..oh the stories I could tell! Haha! Oh well, learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story made me laugh! I have totally had those projects :). And, you know, this turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, you have to come over to see my most recent project, LOL, it is my 'relieved to be done' project! :)

    I cannot believe this was one of those cheapy TV cabinets!! I honestly would have never had the vision to redo one of those....but it looks fantastic!! It might not be perfect, but it looks darned good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makeover looks awesome...love the paper that you used...please be sure to link my blog name or party button on your post...thanks:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!! I did something so similar with damask fabric on the bottom of my TV stand too!! It's so fun :)

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks great! it's gotta be at least sort of well made to withstand being outside and used for so many years! i love it's new look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha! I am with you on the "I'm just happy it's done" kind of a project. You made it look so much better and that is wonderful! Life's too short for perfection:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! I love the idea that you just went ahead and painted it. Particle board? I'm very impressed with the turn out. And the added scrabook paper- very nice touch. I hope you're proud of yourself because you deserve it.
    -Bethanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well even though it was a pain in the butt it did turn out really well! Love the paper you go put on front! Thanks for linking this up as well.

    ReplyDelete