Have you ever had one of those projects that you were just so relieved to have done? This was like that for me. I have envisioned doing this for, oh, at least a year now.
I’m not even sure how I ended up with this. Somehow, though, over the past 10 years, I managed to acquire this cheap, particle board cart/stand. It eventually ended up in our den holding the tv that the kids use to play the Wii and Xbox. I finally got started on it about a week ago. I had my sweetie help me take the big, heavy tv off the top and dragged the little stand outside.
Why on earth I did this, I don’t know but I had some old white paint that had been sitting outside forever. I thought I would be
I peeled as much off as would easily come off. Then, I just left it outside for a few days. Yep, I left this piece of furniture that’s not even real wood outside, exposed to the elements for days. It even rained (I did put some plastic over it). I wish I would’ve thought to take a picture of it in this state but just use your imagination. It was bad.
Then, I picked up a quart of paint from Wallyworld and decided to finish what I started. After all, the kids weren’t too happy about having to go without their video games.
Now, if this piece of furniture were just a little bit nicer or if I would’ve cared just a little more about it, I would’ve scraped the rest of the paint off or used some paint thinner or stripper or something. Kind of like removing the old polish before painting your fingernails. If you don’t, you end up with an uneven layer of polish. But, I didn’t care that much about this old hand-me down tv stand- I just wanted to be done with it, so I just painted right over the peeled paint.
I also noticed after it had sat outside for all this time, it looked crackled on one side. Most people would definitely scrape that off but I just reasoned with myself that it gave it character and kept on going. After a couple of coats of good paint, the peeled paint was sufficiently (for me) covered.
At this point, I decoupaged some pretty damask printed scrapbook paper onto the doors.
Once it had dried, I lightly sanded around the edges all over. Then, I added some black glaze everywhere I had sanded. I sprayed it down with Krylon sealer and finally, finally…I was done.
( We eventually need to upgrade this monster tv to something a little lighter but it is not our main one)
It, of course, is not perfect but then again, I never expected it to be. It was a cheap, old cabinet that I inherited from somewhere. I’m honestly surprised I still have it. With all of the abuse I put it through, I think I finally made up for it. It looks better than it did before and that is all that I wanted. So I am happy. And relieved. Now the kids can get back to their games and I can put that project behind me. Hmmmm…I do still have a few sheets of that same scrapbook paper though…. I could cover something with it to hold their controllers maybe…but not today! Today, I am going to enjoy this beautiful first day of Spring!