Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pecans and Dropcloths

IMG_3683-1

Pecans and dropcloths…that’s two words you don’t hear together everyday.  But today you will!  I have brought them together for a little fall decorating in my dining room with this simple, rustic vignette. 

IMG_3687

Fall is a time of harvest so I harvested what we have.  Here in the South, during this time of year, one thing we have a lot of is pecans.  All of these pecans came from my yard.  I filled a galvanized planter with them as my centerpiece. 


IMG_3698

IMG_3705-1

I flanked the sides with dollar store vases that have been hotglued to dollar store glass candlestick holders to make my own hurricanes.  These were both filled with my harvested pecans.  I took some leftover dropcloth material and cut into strips that I tied onto the vases.  I love the way the canvas looks…even more than burlap! 


IMG_3694

I added my framed ‘Be Thankful’ print from last year and a mini pumpkin. 

IMG_3693

Those ceramic chickens have been spraypainted, you should have seen them before!  Wildly colorful dollar store “what-nots” that I had to tone down a notch. 

IMG_3699

A blue and white plate sits in the back.  I really don’t know anything about it – I just liked the way it looked. 

IMG_3695

A found turkey feather sits in a little glass bottle.  It reminds me a little of the old quill pens people used to write with – if only the bottle were filled with ink! 

IMG_3691

This shabby white tray holds a few other harvested items – acorns, fallen leaves, magnolia cones.   I love the colors and textures of real fall leaves! 

IMG_3690

I have taken down my Halloween decorations in my built in shelves and gotten them ready for Thanksgiving.  We really enjoy Thanksgiving around here because there are three birthdays in our family during this time.  November is just one big celebration that leads into the most wonderful time of the year….*sigh.




Anyway, I’ll have to show you all that another time because I have to get ready to see my daughter’s school play. 

IMG_3683




Have you harvested anything this fall season?  (I just love that word!)






I'll be sharing this around the web if you'd like to follow along and find more inspiration:
homework Tip Junkie handmade projects




Photobucket










Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Happy to have ya here at NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY with this wonderful vignette...love how you painted those chickens....I can just see them before (not so cute)...it is so nice to live down here in the South with all these pecans..hubby brought home some tonight:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathie,
    I've been picking up pecans from our yard for weeks! Have plenty in the freezer for Christmas baking and gift giving now. We are fortunate to have these pecan trees! You've made a nice vignette with the pecans, and your Be Thankful sign just gave me an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a delicious salad that included sugared pecans this summer in a very fancy restaurant. Sure wish I could harvest some nuts from my backyard so I could start experimenting with making my own!

    Your chickens are perfect now with new paint! Don't you love it when you can see the potential and it turns out just like you'd imagined?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its so seasonal! I love how it all came together. New follower. Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/bedazzle-me-monday-7_6572.html

    Also, PRETTY PLEASE stop by and check out Random Acts of Kindness Week going on all next week!! I would love it if you could participate!! More info here:
    http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/kindness-and-thanksgiving.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! have some of those Dollar Store Hurrican lamps myself lol

    ReplyDelete