Friday, October 21, 2011

Pretty Pencils

IMG_3424

I don’t know about you but I am always jotting things down and making little notes and lists to keep up with everything that’s swirling around in my head.  With all that note-taking, I go through a lot of pencils.  Usually they look like this:
 IMG_3414

You know, plain ole’ Number 2.  Gets the job done but not much to look at.  Well, why not have pretty pencils?  I love florals, especially roses and I have plenty of this wrapping paper left over.  I cut my paper into strips the same length as my pencils (7”) and about 1.25” wide.  I decoupaged (with my homemade mod podge mixture) the first one on then decided to try the spray adhesive. 


IMG_3416

I think spray adhesive is to glue what spray paint is to paint.  It’s just so much quicker and in most instances works just as well.  So, I sprayed the back of the paper lightly then slowly and carefully wrapped the paper around the pencil, smoothing it down as I went until the pencil was covered.  Another benefit of using the spray adhesive is that you can (especially with fabric) have time to adjust what you are gluing if you don’t have it placed just right.  Just be sure to put down some newspaper or something to protect whatever surface you are using from the spray or it will get sticky.  Also, make sure to use it in a well-ventilated area although it doesn’t smell really strong.  Basically, follow the same rules that you would with spray paint!   


By the way, in case you are not familiar with my redneck homemade mod podge and you don't have spray adhesive on hand, it is just regular plain white school glue that I have thinned with a little water.  Works great and I can usually find glue for less than 50 cents a bottle (a fraction of the cost of mod podge)!


IMG_3443

IMG_3440

IMG_3444 
After covering the pencils with various papers (scrapbook, gift wrap, old maps – I even printed off some French sheet music from the Graphic Fairy!), I decided to cover the front of a plain spiral notebook to match my floral pencils.  I just measured the front, cut my paper the same size, sprayed and placed it on.  I smoothed it out really well and when it was dry, I added a bit of rick-rack and ribbon.  Now, I can feel pretty and feminine when I make my little notes!  I loooove it! 


IMG_3448 
 I can see making these as little matching sets and giving them as gifts.  You could do a little notepad with a matching pencil or little bundles of pencils or even make a pencil box & fill it with pretty pencils!

IMG_3417-1

You could use newspaper, tissue paper, scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, anything that is not too thick (ie. card stock).  Get creative.  I am thinking of making some for the kids using their favorite candy wrappers.










Tickled Pink at 504 Main
The Shabby Nest










Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Photobucket














Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Great idea. Definitely would make writing more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool idea.

    Lexi
    http://cupcakedaydreamer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic idea! Great job. Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow how interesting! Great idea!!

    Please feel free to link up to Make Yourself Monday!

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great. What a good teacher gift that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was also thinking they would make great teacher gifts! I would love to receive these from my students:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    I just started a new blog and I hope you don't mind, I've featured your pretty pencils there. You can see it here:

    http://crafteronabudget.blogspot.com/2012/01/pretty-paper-covered-pencils.html

    Thank you so much for sharing.. I love these!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete