Sunday, October 30, 2011

Homemade Croutons


IMG_3535



This morning I made the kids bacon, egg, & toast cups.  They are really delicious and I discovered them via Pinterest.  I like making these when we want something different.  I didn’t get any pictures of mine but here’s a good example:



When you make them, you cut the crusts off the bread.  I hate to waste anything!  So, instead of tossing them, I just made croutons.  It was so easy to do and I don’t think I will ever buy croutons again! 

IMG_3539

I just took the little crusts and cut them into cubes.  I melted about 3 tablespoons of butter.  Then I added a pinch of salt, 1 tsp of garlic powder, and 1 tsp of italian seasoning.  I mixed the seasonings into the butter then tossed the bread into the bowl and tried to get them all evenly covered. 

IMG_3534 

I spread them out onto a cookie sheet and baked in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.  They smelled so yummy baking.  I allowed them about 15 minutes to cool and then stored them in an air-tight container.  Later, when I make my salad, I can pull out my fresh croutons.  They are so tasty!

IMG_3538

You could also do this with bread that is going stale.  If you are not using the crusts, bake a little longer (20-25 minutes) so they can get crispy. 





Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so yummy - I'm going to try and make my own croutons now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love homemade croutons! Yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete