Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Free Fall Centerpiece


Krafty Kat {Free Fall Centerpiece}

Today, I created a fall centerpiece for our dining table that was completely FREE!  Yes, free. My fave!   Decorating for the seasons is so easy (and affordable) when you just use what nature has to offer.  We don’t have a lot of leaves falling yet but there are lots of plants offering up beautiful fall colors of gold and orange and I just couldn’t resist. 

Floral Arrangement in Dining Room

I made this autumn bouquet using goldenrod, bittersweet berries, and salt myrtle.  You can find these plants growing all over the place here in Georgia, on the side of the road, in meadows, in the woods, literally everywhere.  I just gathered a basketful and began to arrange them.

Vase Inside

I used a “tall can” that I had spray painted gold a while ago.  I put a large glass vase full of water inside.  It fit perfectly.  I then filled the vase with all of my finds. 

Fall Centerpiece

Sometimes, it seems God just sends little gifts my way.  After I had gathered my flowers, I went to our local little grocery store and right when I stepped out of my car, I spotted these butterfly wings. Somehow, this monarch butterfly had died and the body was gone and the wings had been left, perfectly preserved.  I added it to my basket and I think the little butterfly wings add the perfect touch to my arrangement.


Monarch Butterfly Wings

It may seem gross to some of you to keep them but I think they are beautiful.   I watched a nature film once about the monarchs and they are truly amazing!


Preserved Butterfly In Centerpiece

A few words of advice if you decide to pick some of these wild flowers/weeds/berries/etc.  Never trespass onto private property.  Watch out for snakes and spiders and any other creepy, crawly things.  Also, if you pick bittersweet, the oriental variety has thorns, so be careful!  Use pruning shears for those.  Before arranging, check the clippings well for insects so you don’t bring any of them into your home!  As with any plants you bring into your home, keep them away from small children and pets.  I will not even pretend to know which are poisonous and which are not, but if this is a concern, please look it up! 


Autumn Bouquet

In my opinion, real is always better than fake if you can afford it.  I have no idea what an arrangement of this size would cost but mine didn’t cost a dime and that makes me happy!   


Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. lovely and free always makes for a great combination! Such pretty colors

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS...your buddy is here! Feel free to come see her whenever she turned to look at him. It was as though he had a mission, and his mission was done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is made up because she NEVER prepared for ANYTHING!!!! Not even the dances that we were suppose do the night "we" were suppose to do the night HE passed...he always felt he could "wing" it...and, honestly...HE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE, and would have done an AMAZING JOB!!!!

      Erin

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 1 post on Sep. 27, 2012. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful!! The butterfly wings add the perfect touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty and definately not gross to keep the lovely wings!

    Hugs, Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually the butterfly wings added a nice touch to the center piece. This is such an awesome post. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party. Hope you can join us. :-)

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete