Sunday, July 29, 2012

Girl's Room Decor From The Thrift Store


Girls Room Decor From Thrift Store @ Krafty Kat

I love thrift store makeovers!  You know, when you find something kind of ugly but real cheap at the thrift store and you bring it home and make it pretty!  It just makes me so happy to give an old, discarded item a new, fabulous life! 



Old Jewelry Box
So, I bought this little jewelry/music box a while back for $1.49.  It plays a little tune and has red velvety lined drawers but not too pretty to look at!

Long Frame
I also bought this long, plain jane frame (also for $1.49).


Old Kitchen Teaspoon Caddy
Then, I inherited this from my parents. It was actually designed to hold teaspoons in the kitchen once upon a time.  When they gave it to me, it had one lone teaspoon hanging from it. 

Scrolly Heart Frame
Also, I found this little scrolly (yes, that’s what I said:  scrolly) heart-shaped frame.  It had lost its glass and was probably going to get tossed (eventually, whenever I get around to it).


IMG_5065
So, I gathered all of the misfit decor and some good, old craft paint and went to work.  The little music box is now pretty in pink.  The pink is almost neon pink but it is great for my girls’ room!  I painted the little drawer pulls black. 

Necklace Stand From Kitchen Caddy @ Krafty Kat
Then the little teaspoon caddy got a couple of coats of lime green. 

Necklace Stand @ Krafty Kat
Now it is a fine necklace stand. 



Purple Heart Frame @ Krafty Kat

I chose purple for the scrolly frame and pink for the cardboard backing.  Then I put some letter stickers to say “Sister & Friend”.  I wanted it to say “Sisters & Friends” but there wasn’t enough room. 

Painting Leopard Spots
For the frame, I painted it black and painted the cardboard backing in it white.  Then, I attempted to paint a multi-colored leopard print on it.  I just made some spots and went around them with black.  I think it turned out ok and they now have some cool new wall art.

IMG_5062

  The girls love their new/old decor and it only cost $3 and a little bit of time.  I have been sick half of the weekend and the other half I have been painting the walls in their room and some other little things.  After I finish their room, I want to take a break for painting for a little while.  At least until I go back to the thrift store…

By the way, if you've been here before, you may notice it looks a little different around here!  I've been trying to make some improvements in my bloggy home as well as my real home.  I just wasn't satisfied with the last header I made and I tried to live with it but it was driving me crazy!  So, what do you think?  Is this any better than before?  I've updated my "about me" page and added some more tabs up top, trying to stay organized.  I would love to get your feedback, good or bad so I can make things better for everyone who visits!  

If you've never been here and you like lots of cheap crafts, decorating, and household tips, I would love to have you as a follower!  I post several times a week and have two link parties each week: The first one is on Tuesdays:  Gettin' Krafty With It where anything goes and then there's Gimme Five For Friday with a new theme each week!  I would love for you to come party with me!!!  


Linking Up Here:
Snips & Spice
I Heart Naptime
Craft-O-Maniac
It's Overflowing
Sew Can Do
It's So Very Cheri
Shaken Together
Between Naps on the Porch 
Skip To My Lou 
Natosha In Oz
Tip Junkie
A Bowl Full Of Lemons
Baked In The South
Sugar Bee Crafts
Someday Crafts 
The Shabby Nest 
House Of Hepworths 
Simple Home Life 
Liz Marie Blog 
In My Own Style
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up to Say G’Day Saturday! I just shared this post on my Facebook page and pinned it too!

    This week’s party has just started so I hope you can join in again!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cute! I would have loved this in my room when I was younger. Thanks for linking at Snips and Spice Sunday Slice. I hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete