Tuesday, July 24, 2012

How To Make Your House Smell Amazing

How to Make Your House Smell Amazing!
One of the first things people notice coming into your home is the way it smells. When you walk into my house, I want it to seem welcoming. I don’t want you to turn and run in the opposite direction! We are so easily influenced by our sense of smell. It doesn’t matter how clean your home may appear, if it smells bad, people are going to think it’s dirty.



Air fresheners are filled with so many dangerous chemicals, including phthalates which can affect hormones and reproductive development, especially in babies. Who wants that in their homes? Candles, especially ones with lots of scent, can be expensive. Not to mention the danger of the open flame around children and pets or just forgetting to blow them out.
I love to do this to keep my home smelling sweet and clean and it’s so easy to do (and super cheap)! First, make sure to remove anything that smells offensive (stinky trash, smelly shoes, etc.). You just take the peels of 2 or 3 oranges, a little vanilla flavoring (imitation vanilla is just fine), and some water and put in a pot on the stove.
Krafty Kat orange peels
 
Bring to a boil then simmer for about thirty minutes on low. The scent will make it’s way around your home. It smells clean because of the oranges and like you’ve been baking something delicious because of the vanilla. Very inviting. Who doesn’t want to come in to a clean smelling home where yummy things are being baked?
 
Simmer Orange Peels & Vanilla
 
This is perfect to do before guests arrive or when you want your family to think you’ve been cleaning all day (not that I would ever do such a thing).
 

A Few More Tips
You can take a cotton ball and dab a little vanilla flavoring on it and swipe it over light bulbs so that when they heat up the scent will be released.
This works on the inside of the toilet paper roll in the bathroom as well. Just add a drop or two!
Your bathroom is one place that you really want to send the message of being clean and sanitized to your guests. You can achieve this by pouring a capful of minty mouthwash in the toilet and let sit for 15-20 minutes then flush.
While you wait, wipe down the sink, faucet , and counter with the same mouthwash for a fresh, clean scent.


Linking Up:
Someday Crafts
Trendy Treehouse 
Free Pretty Things For You 
The Life of Jennifer Dawn
House Of Hepworths
Somewhat Simple 
A Crafty Soiree
Confessions of an ADD Housewife
The Shabby Nest
Whipperberry
504 Main 
One Creative Mommy
Too Much Time On My Hands
Be Different, Act Normal
Tatertots & Jello
Funky Junk Interiors
Tidy Mom
The Prudent Pantry
Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for these great tips, Kathie! I plan on trying your "recipe" for making my house smell clean (even if it is not if you look close). This sounds so much better than artificial scents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great combination! Sounds like a wonderful idea. THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tips! I'm adding this to my Tip board on pinterest : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I would love it if you stopped by my new link party http://thelifeofjenniferdawn.blogspot.com/2012/07/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-3.html and linked this up. Hope you to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo I love the lightbulb tip. I will have to go home and try it.

    If you get a chance I would love for you to come link up these tips at my Pin Party on Monday.

    www.sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tips!
    I love the smell of lemon and it's so much better fresh and not from one of those chemically sprays. Love for you to link up at Pin Inspiration Thursday http://www.addhousewife.com/2012/07/pin-inspiration-726.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! My daughter and I are both dubbed "super sniffers" because we are highly attuned to scent and it can just drive us crazy if it's not good. I'm going to try this for sure. Thanks so much!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great idea! I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing, I like the light bulb idea. I used to use the plugins and really like the "fresh linen" scent. Any suggestions for that without harmful chemicals? <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas- I'm going to try the orange peels and vanilla trick today! Pinning this post-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your ideas--seems like our house smells extra funky with all the chlorine towels and pool stuff lying around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! Thanks for sharing this week at One Creative Weekend! I hope to see you back tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do this and add a couple of cinnamon sticks in the winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had given out such an effectual info on Beauty Tips for Home which gives more fragrance to keep the home clean, Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete