Friday, November 5, 2010

Bye-Bye Brass

Remember when I tested out the Rub 'n Buff on my plate rack to see how it would work?  Well, this is what I had planned for it...



This brassy chandelier has been staring me in the face everyday for as long as I can remember.  I didn't know what to do with it.  I would love to just throw it out & replace it with something else but can't afford to, not to mention,  I am scared to death to try to deal with all those wires.  So, everyday it taunts me & everyday I try to ignore it.  I have contemplated spraypainting it but, again, the wires.  I have thought about trying to cover up everything around it & spraypainting it right there but I have just been too chicken.  So, when I tried the Rub 'n Buff & it worked out ok, I decided this would be my weapon of choice.  I could attack it right where it sleeps and not have to deal with those dreaded wires.  I covered every gleam I could see of that brass with my Spanish Copper goop & rubbed it in good.  I buffed & buffed & I retouched.  Then I retouched some more. Then the unthinkable happened:  I ran out of Rub 'n Buff.  If only I hadn't done my little test.  Whatever-it had to be done.  Luckily, I had pretty much tamed that tiger by that point.  I could still see hints of brass peeking through  but I remembered some touch up paint I had from some patio furniture which was a dark bronzey color.  I applied a little dab here & there & I think that did the trick.  Now, this is not the perfect fix.  It is a wax based finish  & can end up thicker in places and be missing in others which makes it hard to get just the right coverage on a large surface.  I think it would be great for smaller projects.  Still, it made the job I had to do much easier than I ever thought it would be & it had a nice finish.  After I felt like I was completely done & gave it its last good buffing over, I stood back & admired.  So. Much. Better.  Bye-Bye Brass! 






Now I just need some cute little lampshades for it....oh, well, I'll just think about that tomorrow.
"Tomorrow I'll think of some way . . . after all, tomorrow is another day."-Scarlett O'Hara









PhotobucketChic on a Shoestring Decorating
calm+breeze+banner+friday.jpg










 

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend   wrap    up           party!




Funky Junk Interiors


The DIY Show Off
Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Great job. I had never heard of Rub 'n Buff, so will have to look into it. I have the same ugly lights in my home. Now that you got rid of that ugly color, have you thought about covering the little one cylinders below the lights? You could use fabric, or scrapbook paper if it doesn't get too warm. You could even set little wreaths around each base, the kind that usually go around pillar candles. Wow. I can't believe how you inspired me with one change! Suddenly, the fixture has possibilities. :)There's hope for my light fixtures, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's such a great idea! I had thought of getting (or poss. making) some little shades for the lights but haven't even thought of covering the cylinders-thanks! You have inspired me right back!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Transformation!! That's a new product for me so thanks for letting us know about it! Your light looks beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I've been wanting to do this to my brass lately too. I'll have to check out the Rub & Buff. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks great! You did a wonderful job! Definitely cheaper than buying a new fixture (and I'm afraid of tangles of wires, so I don't blame ya there either!). Thanks for linking to Weekend Wander. Hope to see you again next week!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, there's someone else besides me that would prefer to restyle fixtures where they sit instead of dealing with the electrical issues. I love this transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love how this turned out. I wish I could rub n buff the cheesy 1980's wheat-etched glass plates on my chandelier. Maybe they'll come back in style if I wait long enough...?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness for rub-n-buff and paint! looks like a completely different light fixture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to let you know that I featured this over at While He Was Napping. Thanks for linking. Come grab a featured button if you'd like.

    Krista
    http://whilehewasnapping.blogspot.com/2010/11/weekend-wander-4-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. this turned out so cool! I had painted mine, had the boyfriend deal with the electrical...I am too chicken to deal with the wires too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great! I too used rub n buff on my chandelier. I went from gold to silver and still had some leftover. I love the stuff and a little goes a long way. Shades would look really cute too.

    ReplyDelete