Friday, November 19, 2010

Goodwill Find

I stopped in my local Goodwill yesterday.  Haven't been there in quite some time.  They didn't seem to have much but I saw this large platter (it measures @ 22" L) and just had to have it.





It appeared to be silver but didn't know for sure.  It was definately heavy.  It had an engraving on it that says "American College of Rheumatism".  The engraving is very small so that didn't bother me.  I didn't see any other markings.  


For $3, I don't even think I could buy a plastic platter of this size so I brought it home.  I held a magnet up to it (real silver is not magnetic) and it did not stick.  Of course, without taking it to be checked, I really can't be sure.  I'm sure it is most likely silver plated, at best.  



  I cleaned it with a paste of baking soda and water.  There are still a few stubborn spots but overall, it has shined up quite nicely.  I can't wait to use it.  I can just see our Thanksgiving turkey there or used as a centerpiece in our living room with Christmas greenery and candles.  What do you think?  How should I display it?  Have you found anything special lately?

Linking up to :  The Shabby NestFingerprints on the FridgeFinding Fabulous, House of Grace, Life as Lori, Beyond the Picket Fence, The Shabby Chic Cottage, My Romantic Home, Chic on a Shoestring, Funky Junk Interiors, It's So Very Cheri
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. That's gorgeous!! If it's silver plated, you will see EP or something similar stamped on it somewhere.

    I shined up beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the silver piece is beautiful!! Shined up so wonderfully!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice! I got two silver platters from Goodwill, one is bigger and another is smaller for my buffet table. I need to clean the bigger one up, I want to use it on my table for christmas decorating

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a good cheap find!! Thanks for linking up! And I am going to try the baking soda paste on an old silver piggy bank and see if it cleans it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought your tray's little sister at GW for 1.50. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great! I would love for you to come link this up at my Strut Your Stuff Party, and enter the giveaway as well!
    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/strut-your-stuff-link-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find! I have been seeing quite a bit of silver at my usual haunts too. I did not know you could polish silver with baking soda. I will have to try it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love using mine to add shine on the china hutch. That's a seriously cool piece!

    ReplyDelete