I stopped in my local Goodwill yesterday. Haven't been there in quite some time. They didn't seem to have much but I saw this large platter (it measures @ 22" L) and just had to have it.
It appeared to be silver but didn't know for sure. It was definately heavy. It had an engraving on it that says "American College of Rheumatism". The engraving is very small so that didn't bother me. I didn't see any other markings.
For $3, I don't even think I could buy a plastic platter of this size so I brought it home. I held a magnet up to it (real silver is not magnetic) and it did not stick. Of course, without taking it to be checked, I really can't be sure. I'm sure it is most likely silver plated, at best.
I cleaned it with a paste of baking soda and water. There are still a few stubborn spots but overall, it has shined up quite nicely. I can't wait to use it. I can just see our Thanksgiving turkey there or used as a centerpiece in our living room with Christmas greenery and candles. What do you think? How should I display it? Have you found anything special lately?
Linking up to : The Shabby Nest, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Finding Fabulous, House of Grace, Life as Lori, Beyond the Picket Fence, The Shabby Chic Cottage, My Romantic Home, Chic on a Shoestring, Funky Junk Interiors, It's So Very Cheri