Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ice Wreath Tutorial


This is such a cheap and easy project- my favorite kind!  Seriously, I made it while watching tv in about an hour.  Anyone can make this and it's a little different than your traditional green wreath.

Materials needed:
A package of sandwich bags (not the kind that zip, just plain old baggies)
a wire coat hanger
Poss. a pair of pliers
Ribbon or tulle (optional)

You start with a wire coat hanger.  Bend in the hook.  Bend the rest of it to form a circle shape.  This may require the use of pliers, depending on the thickness of the wire.  It should look something like this:




After you get the wreath shape formed, fold the sandwich bag in half and tie onto the hanger.


Continue to tie on bags and push them together tightly as you go.  The closer you keep the bags, the fuller the wreath will be.  That is it.  The next step is to add whatever ribbon or accent you like.  I tried it a few different ways. 

Just a simple red tulle bow on top.




Here I tied on little pieces of tulle approximately the same size as the baggies spaced evenly apart.  It sort of gives it a peppermint look.  You could also add some green tulle into the mix. 



Here is just a simple white tulle bow at the bottom. 



                  This would also look great with some aqua, blue,  or snowflake print ribbon .



So, there you go- a cheap, easy wreath that is great for hanging outdoors.  I love the way it reflects light and looks like ice. 


Linking up to:    Today's Creative Blog, I ♥ NaptimeThe Girl Creative, Blue Cricket Design, Crafty Cierra, House of Hepworths, Funky Junk Interiors, Someday Crafts, Skip to my Lou, It's So Very Cheri, Life as Lori



There is still time to link up to this week's Holiday Hookup- will be open for submissions until Friday. 
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. I love this. It will work perfectly with my silver and black holiday decorations. and so stinkin' cheap!

    -dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, how cute is that?!

    Also, Just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award today! http://adventuresofthemichelenafamily.blogspot.com/2010/11/sweet-award-and-new-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I have had a plan for one going round in my head for a while yet. You will see it one day soon!
    http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog on Girl Creative. Love this simple icy wreath. My goodness you could afford to make several. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Ann from Tin and Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks pretty, i'll definitely be trying it out for Christmas!! Tnx for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a flashback. I made one of these in third grade!? Except we used non-ziplock baggies and put them onto the hanger with the twist-ties. It was a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember making these out of dry cleaning bags, back in the sixties when silver trees were the rage. So cool, retro and pretty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete