Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake Pie



Ever since I saw this recipe in a magazine (Living the Country Life), I've been dying to try it.  I thought it would be great for a little variation from the usual plain pumpkin pie.  I tried it out yesterday so I would know before Thanksgiving got here whether or not I would make it then.  I will be honest & say that when I first tried it warm from the oven, I was not that impressed.  It was okay but not spectacular like I expected.  So I wrapped it up and put it in the fridge.  Today, I got it back out & tried a little sliver-D. Lishus!  If you try this recipe, I strongly suggest you make it ahead of time & just serve it cold.  Originally, this recipe involved making the crust too but I just used a refrigerated pie crust from the grocery store to save time.  I will include the pie crust too, in case you want to make it yourself.

Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake Pie

Ingredients:
1 Recipe Deep Dish Pie Pastry (or premade pie crust)
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate or miniature chocolate pieces (I just used Nestle milk chocolate chips)
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup half and half or light cream (I used cream)
Chopped chocolate (optional)

Tools of the Trade

Step 1:  Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Prepare and roll out Deep Dish Pie Pastry.  Transfer pastry to a 9 1/2 to 10 inch deep dish pie plate.  Trim crust edge 1/2 inch beyond pie plate.  Flute edge high.  Line pastry with double thickness of foil.   Bake 8 minutes.  Remove foil; bake 6 minutes more or until golden.  Cool on wire rack.  Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.

Rolling pin is just for looks-I cheated on this step.
Step 2:  In medium mixing bowl combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 egg; beat on low speed until smooth.  Spread cream cheese mixture in cooled pastry shell.  Sprinkle with chopped chocolate. 



Step 3:  In bowl combine pumpkin, brown sugar, and spice.  Stir in 4 eggs.  Gradually stir in half and half.  Slowly pour pumpkin mixture on chocolate layer.  To prevent overbrowning, cover pie edge with foil.  (I skipped this too but it is a good idea).



Step 4:  Bake 60 to 65 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.  Remove foil.  Cool on wire rack.  Cover and refrigerate.  Top with chopped chocolate.  Serves 8.



Since I didn't make the crust, I didn't bake it at all separately.  I just put the whole thing in the oven for @ 1 hour.  If you notice the swirls in the top of my pie, that was not deliberate!  I almost left out the cream.  Sometimes, I can be a bit scatterbrained (aka ADD).  It had already started baking & I had to take it back out and add the cream.  I just delicately mixed it in with a spoon which created the swirls.

Deep Dish Pie Pastry
In medium bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour and 1/4 tsp salt.  Using pastry blender or two knives cut in 6 tbsp shortening until pieces are pea size.  Sprinkle 1 tbsp cold water over part of flour mixture; gently toss with fork.  Push moistened dough to side of bowl.  Repeat, using 1 tbsp water at a time, until all four is moistened (5 to 6 tbsp total).  Form into ball.  On lightly floured surface, flatten dough.  Roll pastry from center edge into 13 inch circle.


















Show and Tell Green








Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden








Get your craft on Thurs.

HookingupwithHoH
Beyond The Picket Fence




















Photobucket
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend     wrap    up           party!


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. That pie looks so yummy! I would love for you to link up this recipe on my fall recipe linky party!
    http://3fourandunder.blogspot.com/2010/11/in-kitchen-thursday-thanksgiving.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM! I think the title of your post includes four of my favorite words :) Thanks for posting this recipe. I'd love for you to add it to my Sweets This Week link party.

    Happy Friday to you!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up with Sweets This Week :)

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete