Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ballard Inspired Newspaper Dress Art

As I thumbed through my latest Ballard Designs catalog, I saw this Newspaper Dress Giclee Print. 

Newspaper Dress Giclee Print

It is a reproduction of a work by Denise Fiedler.  Very eye-catching but very pricey at $299.  I thought surely I can recreate this.  I decided to do a smaller version for now as I have no canvas. 

IMG_0722

First, I scanned the image and resized it to fit the 25 cent thrift store plaque I had.  I cut out the pieces of the image- the sleeves, the strips of the skirt, the belt, etc. and used them to trace pages out of a magazine (for the white part  of the paper) and this old dictionary

IMG_0497

I didn’t want to make mine exactly like the original (that would be too much like cheating) so I made mine with a plaid collar and black where the buttons go down the front.  I also used a slightly different shaped letter “O” for my belt buckle.

IMG_0729
IMG_0730


What do you think?   

IMG_0722 newspaper dress
                             Mine                                              Theirs
                                             
I put my mini version on a little stand.

IMG_0733

Here it is in my livingroom. 

IMG_0736 

After doing that one, I was inspired to make one of my own design.

IMG_0711

This project took me back to when I was younger and made all kinds of collages from magazines and photos.

IMG_0713

I just found a dress template online, cut it out into its individual pieces and traced the shapes onto my Harper’s Bazaar.  I cut them out and glued them down to cardstock.  I decided to frame this one. 

IMG_0716

These were so fun to make, kind of like making paper dolls.  The best part is how inexpensive this was to do.
 
IMG_0720
















beforeAndAfterButton


To see all of the other cool places I am linking this up just go here


Proud to have this project featured at:






Boogieboard Cottage

Tidy Mom








Pin It!

38 comments:

  1. Both of yours are fabulous...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! YOu did such a great job. I am so impressed! Love how it looks with the other decor on your table. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job. The possibilities for these are endless. Thanks for sharing. I had not seen these. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, both are fabuous. I absolutely love them. What a great job and they are wonderful. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, yours is so much better! I love it and now I have an idea for my daughters room!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this! Easy, afforable and fun. So many, many possiblities. Now I want to make one! Thank you for linking this to Masterpiece Monday. Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of your versions are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very fun! thanks for linking up at WhipperBerry!!

    kisses
    heather from WhipperBerry

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your's better. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both are awesome, I really like the one in the frame though!I wish I had thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fantastic! You did a fantastic job and I love your own design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You have talent. Those look so great! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are awesome! ARe you sure you weren't a fashion designer in a past life? Hope you will share wtih my Pink HIppo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/01/pink-hippo-party-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. They both look great!~

    ReplyDelete
  15. They came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the coloured one that you framed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that, Ballard is one of, MY MOST fav. magazines, i get so excited when i get mynew magazine in the mail.. YOU DID an Amazing job, and i too like to change things up when i copy..
    LOVE IT and a Happy Excited New Follower..
    Thanks for sharing Karryann

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love them both! This has been on my knock-off-to-do-list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. IO would never attempt to do that. You did a remarkable job. I in fact, I like yours as well as the original. Great idea and job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your two! Better than Ballards!!

    I posted some "romance" book bundles I made today and am hoping that Pottery Barn doesn't rip me off. :) :) Mine cost nothing and can only imagine what they would charge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like yours! Love the shirt with the swirl of the flower (?) Very cool.

    via shabby chic cottage

    ReplyDelete
  22. ps. following so I can keep up with all your great ideas! Great list of posts:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. oooh i luv your design and that was a great knock off...
    Luv it...
    Don't forget to link it in our linking party this week.

    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/02/fun-ideas-for-valentine-day-2011be.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it!!! I'm doing the 30 for 30 fashion challenge (an all Goodwill thrift version), so the post is so appropriate. I love your design!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made a copy of your copy and I love it! Thank you so much for sharing! Check it out at: http://chicaesartistica.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE it! I too saw that dress and I plan to make it for my daughter's room. Your's looks great, both yoru copy and your original!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am absolutely crazy about this project!!! I'd love to have you link it up to my party at Rook No. 17. It's right up my alley and I know my readers would flip for it too! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  28. You did a fantastic job. Love it, love it, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great job!!!! found you on Me Making Do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so pretty!!!

    Please share this over here: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-flavored-lip.html

    We would love to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE this!!

    Thanks for linking up!!! I featured your post in my wrap up! http://tidymom.net/2011/im-lovin-it-wrap-up-2-5-1/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Too cute! I think this would make a beautiful set of notecards. Thank you for the inspiration.

    landofdouglas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. i too saw the glicee print in ballards catalog and thought it was so cool! i love your little mini, a perfect size for a tabletop. found you via thrifty decor chick.
    judi

    ReplyDelete
  34. Adorable! I love your version!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is so adorable! And great tutorial! I would love for you to come link up with me as well if you haven't stopped by yet! Best link each month gets prizes!

    http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/02/strut-your-stuff-for-february-round-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. i just flipped through the same catalog the other day, and immediately, i KNEW someone out here in blogland would attempt the 'copy'.. it's awesome!! great job! :)
    blessings,
    -tracie

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good job. It looks like it was a big hit. I saw someone else do this and I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete