Friday, January 28, 2011

Cupcake Wall Art

IMG_0685

I was inspired by My (Crazy) Decorating Addiction’s girl power gallery wall (you really have to go check that out) to do something similar in my daughter’s room.  At first, I had the idea to do her name but the two of us were looking at some things for her room and she fell in love with some cupcake print bedding but it was for a toddler bed and she has been in a big girl bed for the past 3 years.  So, I decided to incorporate her affection for cupcakes into the design.  I fooled around on the computer and came up with my backgrounds and images and decided on the word “sweet” because it truly describes her.  She is a very loving child who gives out more hugs and kisses than I’ve ever seen before! 

IMG_0658
IMG_0665

IMG_0669 
I printed out my images and sprayed them down with acrylic sealer.  I had bought some small wooden plaques for about a buck each and spray painted them white.   I got out the glue and decoupaged them on.  When all that glue was dry, I added a layer of Elmer’s Shimmer N Shine.  I tried to use the corresponding colors so that it would highlight that color.

IMG_0664
IMG_0660

IMG_0680

IMG_0679

When all of that was dry, I attached some pink satin ribbon and hung them up.  How did you attach them, you ask?   I hot glued paper clips to the back to make hooks.  Hey, sometimes you have to improvise!

IMG_0690

  IMG_0678
I have to say I am a little disappointed in the purple one.  I think I went too light with that one and it doesn’t stand out as well as all of the rest.  The background on it is supposed to be a harlequin print but it’s really hard to make out and so is the letter “E”.  I may go back later and do a brighter purple if if just really bugs me but I think I can live with it. 

IMG_0671

This little project cost me about $10.  $7 for the wooden plaques and $3 for the ribbon.  Everything else I already had on hand.  I think it turned out pretty cute and I can’t wait to put it up in her room.  She’s asleep right now so I have to wait until tomorrow but I just couldn’t wait to show someone!  (I’ll do a better job of hanging it straight when I put it in her room!) Now, I’ve got a whole theme for her room planned out around this one project!  I have so many ideas swirling around in my head! 

IMG_0684





Proud to have this project featured here:
Featured on Pinkapotamus




FeaturedPhotobucket



Featured Button




To see all of the other cool places I'm linking this up just go here
Pin It!

35 comments:

  1. Wow -such a cute project!! Impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such fun wall art!

    Thanks so much for linking up to FFA!

    Hannah @ http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I was wondering how you "painted" those. Love the shiny finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using the paper clips as hooks is such a great idea. I just made a seashell mirror and I was afraid to just glue the string to the mirror itself. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is too cute. You are very talented for sure!! And I think the purple one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This project turned out wonderful! So happy to have inspired you in some small way!

    Kerri from
    mydecoratingaddiction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you're so talented! This project came out great, and I love the paper clips, smart! I bet your daughter just loves this! Thank you for linking this to Masterpiece Monday. Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. soooo "sweet"...i love it! thanks for linking up with whipperberry.

    kisses
    heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love this! Thanks for sharing such a sweet idea! :)
    ~Mary
    www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how cute!! I love the cupcakes! So darn cute..great job :)

    popping by from Young & Crafty :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this and I love cupcakes! so cute, great idea and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did such a great job! This is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are adorable! I love the bright colors and that you gave them such a finished look!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! I'm linked upa t your so very creative and am a new follower!
    I'm at http://mommydoes.blogspot.com if you want to check me out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm saying new follower since Blogger seems to be unfollowing some of my blogs... boo! blogger :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow these look amazing!! I love the sparkle! Would love for you to come link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look fantastic! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are so cute! Love how you hung them up with paper clips!

    Please come follow me! I'm almost to 60, please help me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is adorable! I am new to the land of blogging, and I saw your link on Craft-O-Maniac. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really nice work! I love them all, even the odd-ball E :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So so SOOO cute!! What a fun decoration for a little girl's room! :) I'd love for you to link up to my new linky party, Tute {Yourself} Tuesday!
    LittleEme.blogspot.com
    The linky will be open until Wednesday evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH, Just darling. My daughter would go bananas over these.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I need you to come over and do my daughter's room! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are so cute, I featured them today!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely darling! I bet she loves them too!

    Hope you'll drop by this weekend and share them at Passion for Paint!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Would you be willing to email the cupcake pictures? This is exactly what I'm looking for in my daughter's room! jenn3680(at)yahoo(dot)com.

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super Cute!! I think the purple one looks just fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So sweet! I love how you used paperclips with the ribbon. And the glitter.... well it just makes the project!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete