Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Few Old Frames

I’m sure everyone has old frames laying around that could be put to good use.  They may be painted a color you don’t like or they may be missing the glass or chipped but don’t toss them out yet!  You can easily print out art or pictures you like, repaint or refinish them, fill them with fabric, mementos,  etc. 


IMG_0244
This family sign was my first decoupage project.  I saw all of this art using photographs of architecture that looks like letters so I googled until I found the images I wanted to spell out “Family” and printed them out and decoupaged them onto this old thrift store frame (it originally had a “Proud to be an American” print that was beyond cheesy).  Of course, I didn’t use mod podge- just plain glue and water (works just as well) and never have.  I was so proud of it but had a hard time finding a spot for it but finally, I did- in my kitchen window.  I love looking up at it.  It is a great reminder of why I am doing everything I do. 

IMG_0250
This frame is in my daughter’s room and has her initial on it.  I have had this frame forever but didn’t have a glass to go inside so it was left in the closet for a long time.  I finally figured out what I wanted to do with it.  I stapled a piece of fabric to the back and hot glued a painted wooden initial to the middle.  I love it now. 


IMG_0253
This is another picture in my daughter’s room.  Again, I had a frame I didn’t know what to do with so I googled until I found some art I liked, printed it out. This frame originally held a very dated (prob. early 80’s) baby milestones print.   I spray painted the frame white and a piece of cardboard primer gray to serve as a matte.  I taped the picture to the cardboard and put it in the frame.

IMG_0247

I bought this old Renoir print at a thrift store for a buck.  Can you believe it?  I had an old frame that was a weird peach color.  I had spray painted white and distressed but the white was just too bright for this picture.  So I added some old greenish- gold glaze over the white and now it works.  This one is in my room. 


IMG_0123
I made a dry-erase calendar from an old frame and I keep up with my craft projects with this old frame that I covered in burlap.  Just ignore all of that mess you see in the reflection, I’m gonna get that just as soon as I get done here. ;)


IMG_0257
So, go find your old frames and give them a new life!

Linking up here:
Trendy Pockets
Be Different Act Normal
A Little Lovely
Tatertots and Jello
Chic on a Shoestring
Mama's Kinda Crafty
Shanty2Chic
I ♥ Naptime
Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Skip to My Lou
House of Grace
It's So Very Cheri
The T-Shirt Diaries
My Backyard Eden
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. That's great. I used an old frame and made it into a vanity tray. I love finding new uses for old things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done an awesome job w/your old frames! Way to be green as well! Thanks for linking up @ trendy pockets, hope you come back next weekend! trendypockets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your encouragement on my blog. I love the W frame and the modge podge family frame you made. Darling and great to display at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am visiting you early for the Monday Blog hop! I am a new follower. I love making old things new again and seeing what other people do as well! Nice blog! http://birdinatreecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know glue/water worked like modge podge?? Tks for sharing. Your FAMILY frame is awesome. I've seen something like that in a gift store for at least $20. Those are great pics you found for the letters....isn't google amazing!!!

    Tks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We apparently horde frames at my house (last count 45 + my husband just bought a couple more!), and these are great ideas to start putting them to use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the family frame. What key words did you use to search for the letters? I would love to make on with our last name on it.

    ReplyDelete